Thursday, December 23, 2010

What I'm waiting for...


But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (NIV)

The word 'advent' means 'come' or 'waiting for something or someone to come.' The advent season is about waiting for the Christ to come to earth as a child. The Israelite people were in waiting for a long time for this to happen. We are also in a season of advent; a waiting time for Christ to come. The above scripture from Isaiah 40:31 has always been a favorite of mine. It is especially so now, as I am having times when I need my strength renewed; when running would not only make me weary, but would be almost impossible; and when I do sometimes grow faint (as well as achy) when I walk; when I would love to soar like this eagle that flew alongside us recently in the canyons. I am waiting for a time when this aging body will not be an issue; when Spirit is all that counts.

In the meantime, I am keeping my Hope in the One who will make all that possible. As I someday soar along on my eagle's wings, I hope I am in a huge flock of all those whom I love. Won't we have fun, soaring and running and walking together with the One we have been waiting for; the One we have put our Hope in?

Of course, I also believe that these things can happen while we wait here; that our faith and hope can spiritually uplift us to keep going, when we feel like we can go no longer. It promises more than that; it promises that we can spiritually SOAR, when we would, without that hope, be spiritually weary and faint. I cling to that. May we all Soar throughout the coming year, as we hope in the Lord together.

No comments: