Thursday, September 9, 2010

A reminder....



As I was driving to church yesterday evening, this double rainbow was in front of me all the way. I didn't have my camera, but pulled into a driveway to take three shots with my iPhone, which I was able to piece together.

So all day today, I have been singing the childrens' song to myself, "When I see a rainbow, high in the sky, then I remember that God is nigh. When I see a rainbow or mountain or sea, then I remember that He cares for me!"

I just recently read the verse in Genesis that tells us that God put the rainbow in the sky as an occasional reminder that He loves us enough that, no matter what we have done to upset and offend Him (and we surely must be far worse now than people were in Jonah's time) He will not destroy us all with another flood.

Goodness! I think we need to see more rainbows! Or remind each other somehow that God is in control of our world. We all want to be in control. It seems that even Christians, and sometimes especially people who claim to be Christians, want to be in charge of fixing things the way they want them to be. We forget that, even if things are not the way we want them to be, God is still in control. We can do our best to make our little corner brighter, but to try to 'fix it' is not what God has called us to do.

How can burning copies of the Koran lift up God through our actions? How can expressing hatred to entire portions of the world be a way to share Christ's sacrifice and God's love with and for them? I am so saddened by acts of hatred perpetrated by those who claim to be followers of the One who came to live and die only to teach us to live in Love.

September 11th, 2001 was a very sad day for us all. I think, if we learn anything from it, it must be that we need to be more loving to one another, and to the world as a whole. Hatred begets hatred. Violence begets violence. Only unceasing Love can cure the saddened hearts of the world. This September 11th, remember in prayer those who lost loved ones on that day. And try to remember Who is still in charge. Look for more rainbows to remind you, if need be. You are loved; Pass it on...

2 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

It reminds me of the verse in Romans- God speaking to the Jews- " The Gentiles mock me, because of you!" How sad that our actions makes His work harder!!

K Spoering said...

Absolutely! Yes, and Amen, Julia.