Friday, August 27, 2010

Word!



"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

I awoke in the middle of the night last night and could not get back to sleep. Words floated randomly through my mind, taking me here and there; anywhere but back to sleep, where I longed to be. So I decided to try to quiet my mind with meditation. The 'Book of the Month' at the congregation we have been attending is the gospel of John. As a child, I memorized the first verse of the book, so settled on that to guide my meditation.

I know that, later in the chapter, John identifies "the Word" as Christ. But why does he here, at the beginning of his own written word, begin with The WORD? It came to me that this short verse is John's version of the creation story. Before anything else existed, God had Word. In fact, in the Genesis creation story, God used Word to create everything else. He spoke it into being. "And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light." (Gen.1:3) Then He used Word to name what he had created: "God called the light 'day,' and the darkness He called 'night.'" (Gen 1:5)

Word. It is the basis of all that we are. The Word is in us. We use it to think, to communicate, even to emote to ourselves and to God. Without Word, we are but empty shells.

I have so often thanked God for words... for words from His inspired written word; for words of comfort, joy, encouragement, or love from my husband, friends and family; for precious words from the lips of my children and grandchildren; for the written words of Anne Lamont, Madeleine L'Engle or even Jane Austen. Words are a precious and large part of my life. Word is who I am and what I do. Even the images I create at my loom and easel are wrapped up in words, in Word.

The slang dictionary says that the use of "Word!" on the street derives from the shortening of the phrase, "My word is my bond" in prison usage. To say "Word" is to say something is true. Word is Truth.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

Lord, thank You for the blessing of Word. Please remind me that my own words came to me as a gift from You. Help me to use them for Your purpose: to bless and not to curse; to promote peace, not dissension; to uplift and love, and never to degrade or hate.

WORD!

No comments: